Prime welcomed more members worldwide this year than any year before
Prime members in the U.S. had three times as many items from Amazon’s online store delivered in one day or faster compared to the previous year
Some of the most popular series on Prime Video were The Boys, Carnival Row and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and the most streamed artist on Amazon Music was Taylor Swift
SEATTLE–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#BestofPrime2019–(NASDAQ: AMZN) What a year for Prime members! Today, Amazon is celebrating the Best of Prime 2019, revealing how Prime members chose to enjoy the best of shopping and entertainment from Amazon this past year. Some Prime member favorites in the U.S. include: Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, avocados, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan and the novel “The Handmaid’s Tale.” Find Amazon’s Best of Prime 2019 at amazon.com/bestofprime.
“Best of Prime celebrates what members loved most this year and how Prime made their lives a little simpler, more convenient and more fun,” said Jamil Ghani, Vice President, Amazon Prime. “From breakout shows like The Boys on Prime Video, to a wide selection of hit songs on Amazon Music, to Prime Free One-Day Delivery on more than 10 million products coast-to-coast, to free and fast grocery delivery, being a Prime member just keeps getting better. Drawing on what members loved most in 2019, we will continue to invest and innovate to bring even more convenience, selection and entertainment to Prime in 2020.”
Best of Shopping
Prime members in the U.S. saved time and money this year with speedy delivery and exclusive deals:
- Delivery got even faster! Members had three times more items from Amazon’s online store delivered in one day or faster compared to the previous year and saved time by avoiding hundreds of millions of trips to the store with their delivery benefits.
- Holy guacamole! Some of the most purchased items by members this year include Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote, AncestryDNA: Genetic Ethnicity Test and… avocados.
- Instant Pot is still hot. The member favorite has been among the top sellers for three years running.
- Members delivered smiles all year long and sent hundreds of millions of gifts this past year. Top gifted items, outside of Amazon devices, included: “Becoming” by Michelle Obama, the Instant Pot DUO60, First Builders Big Building Bag and children’s book “The Wonky Donkey.” The most gift-giving U.S. states per capita were Delaware, Washington and Virginia.
- Hungry? Favorite foods, family dinners and fresh ingredients are now delivered to Prime members with free and fast grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market in over 2,000 cities and towns – whether it’s weekly grocery shopping or needing something in a pinch. Prime members had hundreds of millions of grocery items delivered with Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market this past year.
- Members like their wine white, cold and fast. The fastest grocery delivery this year was from Whole Foods Market, containing a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, and arriving in just 13 minutes.
- Members gobbled up tons of savings…and ice cream. Turkeys, roses and ice cream were the three best-selling Whole Foods Market deals this past year for Prime members.
- So many got-a-deal feels. Members worldwide saved more than one billion dollars throughout Prime Day 2019.
Best of Entertainment
Members worldwide enjoyed more moments than ever before with their video, music, reading and gaming benefits. Here’s a look at the entertainment they loved most:
Members in the U.S. kept up with the hottest Amazon Originals:
- Some of the most popular Amazon Original series in the U.S. included The Boys, Carnival Row, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Good Omens and Hanna.
- Members love Jack Ryan: This year, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan returned to Prime Video for its second season and had the biggest global premiere of any Amazon Original series.
- Fleabag is Certified Fresh, holding a 100 percent critic score on Rotten Tomatoes.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is the most awarded Amazon Original series ever with a total of 16 Emmys, 3 Golden Globes, 5 Critics’ Choice and 3 SAG Awards.
- Get your popcorn! Some of the most popular Amazon Original movies in the U.S.: Late Night, Life Itself, Beautiful Boy, Guava Island and Chasing Happiness.
- This just in – The Report had the biggest global premiere of any Amazon Original movie this year.
Amazon Music listeners in the U.S. streamed the hottest new releases over the last year:
- The most streamed artist was the 2019 Prime Day Concert headliner, Taylor Swift.
- Listeners’ favorite albums included Lover by Taylor Swift, WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? by Billie Eilish and GIRL by Maren Morris.
- The top streamed songs across the year were “Old Town Road (Remix)” by Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus, “GIRL,” by Maren Morris, “Sucker” by Jonas Brothers, “I Don’t Care” by Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber, and “Stronger Than Me” by Garth Brooks.
- The most requested song on Alexa via Amazon Music was “Old Town Road (Remix)” by Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus.
Members around the world upped their game with Twitch Prime this past year:
- The most popular Twitch Prime in-game loot this year was for League of Legends, Apex Legends, Grand Theft Auto Online and Red Dead Online. Plus, Prime members enjoyed a year’s subscription to Nintendo Switch Online.
- Prime members can also enjoy a selection of free games each month. Some of the most popular free games with Twitch Prime this year were Pikuniku, Downwell, Dear Esther and Hyper Light Drifter.
Members in the U.S. embraced their inner bookworm with Prime Reading:
- The top five most read titles in the U.S. were “The Bad Seed,” “A Curve in the Road,” “The Handmaid’s Tale,” “A Case of Need: A Novel” and “Beneath a Scarlet Sky: A Novel.”
- Some of the most borrowed titles by genre included “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change” (Business & Investing); “The Handmaid’s Tale” (Literature & Fiction); “A Case of Need: A Novel” (Mystery & Thriller); “And Then You Loved Me” (Romance); “1984” (Science Fiction & Fantasy); and “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” (Young Adult).
Every Day Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to deliver joy every single day. Over 100 million paid members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime, including the best of shopping and entertainment. In the U.S. that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video, ad-free listening of 2 million songs plus thousands of stations and playlists with Amazon Music, unlimited access to more than 1,000 books and magazines with Prime Reading, free games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, exclusive deals on Prime Day, and more. Prime members can also get deep discounts on select popular products at Whole Foods Market plus an additional 10 percent off hundreds of sale items. Prime was built on the foundation of unlimited fast, free shipping. In addition to more than 10 million items available for free one-day delivery coast to coast, Prime members in thousands of cities and towns across 46 major metropolitan areas have access to millions of items with free same-day delivery. Prime members also have access to free and fast grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market in more than 2,000 cities and towns. Prime is $119 a year or $12.99 a month and customers can start a free trial of Amazon Prime at amazon.com/prime. College students can join Prime Student for 50% off and enjoy the benefits of Prime with a six-month free trial at amazon.com/primestudent. Plus, for an additional $0.99 a month, student members can get Amazon Music Unlimited and stream over 50 million songs ad-free. Customers receiving government assistance through EBT or Medicaid can also qualify for a discounted Prime membership of $5.99 a month at amazon.com/qualify. Amazon Business customers—from small businesses to large enterprises, as well as education, government and non-profit organizations—can also take advantage of Prime’s fast, free shipping and exclusive business-relevant benefits with Business Prime, which starts at $179 per year for up to three users at amazon.com/businessprime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.
The Best of Prime 2019 analyzed how Prime members in the U.S. enjoyed their Prime benefits from October 1, 2018, through September 30, 2019, unless otherwise noted. Amazon Music data was analyzed from November 1, 2018, through November 1, 2019, and includes all Amazon Music listeners in the U.S., not limited to Prime members. Data for Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan and The Report was collected from October 31, 2019, through December 1, 2019. Information included in these results examines data at a collective level, without viewing personal information by specific Prime members.